Tuesday, February 2, 2010

SLIS 5720- Technology Assessment


I am proud to say that I have a lot of strengths when it comes to technology. I was recently recognized as a "technology star" by the IT department in our district. This is a reward that is given to teachers who emphasize the use of technology in the classroom and incorporate it in lessons as much as possible. I try to stay up on new Web 2.0 tools and love showing them off to students. I always give my students options when it comes to projects (Photostory, blogging, Microsoft Publisher, etc.) and enjoy seeing their excitement and creativity.
Having said all this, I know I have weaknesses. I never seem to have enough time to learn all the capabilities of new technology. I am definitely guilty of just scratching the surface of what a technology can do and moving on to something else before I learn about their full potential. As soon as I learn one technology and am teaching my students, I hear of a new and better technology that would have worked better. I never can seem to keep up with technology, but I guess that is just how it is.
As a teacher and soon as a librarian, I will continue to try and stay educated on technology. I will continue to promote the use of it and educate students on how to use it, not only for entertainment purposes, but as great ways to express themselves in their work. I will attend all the professional development classes I can to learn more. I think creating a media technology club would be a great way to have students help me stay on top of the ever changing technological environment.